There are currently no users chatting.

Near death experience again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic - news, sports, etc' started by Aton, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

So yesterday at work I left my satellite shop riding my bike back to my my office. Traffic on the free way had a sudden stop.
    Everyone slammed on their brakes. I was back about 6 or more car lengths back from the car in front of me. When I saw the red brake lights I jumped on mine and locked em up.

As I'm skidding to slow down I look back behind me guy is right on my ass so I couldn't pull my back wheel out to the side to slow more. I looked to the HOV lane to my left a car was racing up quick. I couldn't dip into that lane.
    All I could do is ride it out and hope I can stop b4 I hit the truck in front of me.
    At this point nothing is going through my head. No adrenaline rush nothing other than me verbally saying fuck fuck fuck fuck!

I got 4 of those out b4 I hit the pickup bumper. Front tire dipped down, front fender crushed up to the forks. Forks bend toward me. Handle bars push forward. I lift up off of the seat. My chest arms and face hit the tailgate.
    Arms and helmet first then chest lifting my head and shoulders over the top of his tailgate.

I don't even think the guy knew I hit him.

I yank the tire out from under the bumper.
    He then starts to drive a way and I guess realizes I'm still in the same spot. He then pulls over and I waddle the bike over to the side.
    My arm put a dent in his tailgate, my left face shield and chin guard of the helmet
    Is scraped up. Dent in my tank/ air box area. Probably from my balls of steal lol. Forks r bent one is cracked and leaking fluid all over.

Never once did I freak out or panic. Pretty much typical from past near death experiences for me.

Have u been in these types of situations? How did u react during? After? How did u handle ur self did u freeze and go for the ride or did u react the best way u could have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markg518 and BIGVNYC like this.
  2. rogueamerican

rogueamerican Moderator

Crazy man, and glad you are ok!! I just rode the bike to the gym now and didn't wear a helmet. I always wear one unless I go to the gym a mile away, but probably should all the time. Good to hear you walked away!

I've rolled a car, no seat belt, Windows open. Pulled knives off people's throats, had guns pulled out. Everything for me slows down, its weird I can't explain it. Almost like my brain slows it to react the way I need to. I think and even remember rolling looking at the grass in the moon roof thinking hold onto the steering wheel, and going man I hope I land on the wheels. I think grab the knife away from his throat, disarms the knife and minimize the threat as fast and easily as possible. I react very well in bad situations and always try to prepare for them.

HeavyHanded, Aton and BIGVNYC like this.
  3. Billy Bicep

Billy Bicep New Member

Damn, glad u are alright! Ditch the bike for a fast car...safer. With all the non-driving fucks out there nobody should ride bikes anymore. A good friend of mine lost an arm die to a bike wreck, and he was considered lucky to be alive. Lucky? I would rather find a car that's enjoyable and keep my limbs. Would be Tough to bench with 1 arm

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Aton, BIGVNYC and rogueamerican like this.
  4. BIGVNYC

BIGVNYC Moderator Staff Member

I've had to many close to death experiences in fact i am probably living on borrowed time. When i was younger every one was buying a motorcycle i opted out because i knew i would kill myself on one. I have lost more than 4 friend's to motor cycle death's. And have countless friends with major life time injuries. This accident could be a sign....

HeavyHanded and rogueamerican like this.
  5. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

I had a few friends lose their lives to motor cycle accidents and have had family and friends say ditch the bike.

I have a hell of a time w that thought process. Other than free falling out of a plane to me it's the next best experience.

I always tell my wife I shouldn't have come back from the sand box and a few other places many a time and well hell doubt I will see a very old age.
    Over 60 would be a blessing.

Not that I wish it be but I've always accepted it if it stared me in the face.

Rogue I've had the slow down effect happen to me. I think it's the fight or flight effect of an adrenaline rush.
    But have found the more I've trained for for certain event I lost that feel and had more control to deal w the situation at hand.

Anyways I'm happy to have walked away from it yesterday and have plenty of work a head on the bike.

rogueamerican likes this.
  6. G_nome76

G_nome76 Active Member

Sling wood
    Your one of the few that can handle pressure not many of us out there bud. Glad your ok tho. Thank god you were wearing your helmet

7. rogueamerican

rogueamerican Moderator

You came back from the sandbox, the other places, and made it yesterday because you still have a purpose here brother. Glad you are still here man!

Aton likes this.
  8. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

Yah looking at how and where it was scraped up my face would have been black n blue. Maybe even a broken jaw and cheek bone.

I always use wear a full face when I'm on a long free way ride.

G_nome76 likes this.
  9. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

Wife said I was happy u could call me to let me know u were in an accident rather than the hospital or ur work.

She was pretty cool about it all. She didn't flip out. She came to pick me up and said well let's go price out the parts u need to rebuild it.
    And I've gone on rides w u I know how defensive and cautious u ride. If u could have avoided it u would have.

G_nome76 and rogueamerican like this.
  10. Markg518

Markg518 New Member

God damn brother that play by play was like watching a movie and am glad it ended as well as it did considering !!
    I used to race motocross and was side by side with this other guy as we were coming into a tight burm and there's only room for one and trees on both sides neither of us letting up I ended up getting the inside and in a flash his right hand hits the tree and the bars just snap in half after the race I went to see the after math and he ended up with a broken hand and that's it considering how freaking hard he hit.
    I'm glad you made it out like you did.
    With everyone on the phones now a days it makes riding like rolling dice it's like when is it my day.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

Aton and rogueamerican like this.
  11. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

It sure does.

Will take some pics of that damage to the bike.

Markg518 likes this.
  12. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Member

Glad you were wearing the helmet. I love to ride but have literally almost died half a dozen times. I said fuck the bike. It doesnt matter how skilled a rider is, these fuckheads texting while driving will kill you.
    Bikers have always been at risk...its part of why we love to ride whether people admit it or not. The problem is the increased risk from distracted drivers. Its never been this bad and is only getting worse.
    Its so fun to ride, but just not worth it anymore. Unless you live on baron empty roads our fate is no longer up to us.
    There should be a bike only lane on every road.

Markg518 and rogueamerican like this.
  13. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

Very much agree!

14. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

Some pics of the destruction.

10a1bb90760a05e0e1e29cd300e35d78.jpg1b97198ca68226d8dc7edb9158be262d.jpg4f7934db396308ec80fec1db0ddda89f.jpgbcfdbf11f38b8c1b2ede2f9f3e08401f.jpga6217f2ca666df88e14dc6923896d3ef.jpg

15. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

A few I took
    Of the back of the truck.

5c4f4008ea7e2cdd7c8553625880d4fd.jpg4f6eebf5b2493a03ca4e37fc6c790e10.jpgf79060395fe059662c32998f6d676896.jpg

16. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

It was a brand new truck not even licensed yet.

17. rogueamerican

rogueamerican Moderator

That sucks man, how much is the damage or do you not know yet? Positive note trucks and bikes are better to repair than you.

Some guy backed up down the road completely illegally and smashed into our new SUV into the side where our 2 week old was in his car seat. Still haven't got a call back from the assigned adjuster to even get a claim number or where I can go for an estimate after 3 messages and an email. Hope you have better luck at getting your bike fixed lol.

18. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

I don't know that cost the truck damage.
    But 1600 for the bike parts

19. Aton

Aton Well-Known Member

That sucks about ur SUV man! Glad ur son didn't get hurt

20. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Member

This thread reinforced the fact it could all be over tomorrow. You just never know. Life is good. Everyday is a blessing. I don't sweat the small shit anymore.

Aton likes this.